Throughout history animals have played a significant role in human’s lives. The symbiotic relationship between people and animals was formed thousands of years ago. In early times, people found that human-animal relationships were important to their survival. Today, pets are considered part of the family and often reflect people’s need for intimacy, nurturance and companionship.
Those who have pets know they make them happy. But scientific research has proven that animals, particularly dogs, also help promote psychological and physical health by providing companionship, reducing stress, promoting social interaction, encouraging exercise, and providing unconditional love.
We have benefited tremendously from our alliance with dogs. Here are ten top ways that dogs keep people healthy:
- Dogs provide unconditional love. They do not hesitate to show their affection, especially when they greet us at the door with their smiling face and wagging tail.
- Dogs know us! They can read people’s personalities and know who is more likely to be friendly. They sense sadness, tiredness, depression and illness. We also know that dogs understand language.
- Dogs keep us healthy both physically and psychologically. The most common health benefit is the exercise we get when dogs take us walking. Regular walks with your dog can make a profound difference in your health and quality of life.
- Petting a dog can reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, reduces anxiety, and improves our overall health.
- Dogs are nonjudgmental. They show unconditional acceptance. Have you ever known a dog to criticize or think less of you in times of failure? Pets accept us the way we are!
- Dogs provide companionship! They are fiercely loyal, great company, and a best friend to stick by your side no matter what.
- Service dogs save lives. These dogs do many things to help people with disabilities. Service dogs are trained to serve as eyes and ears, as well as mobility assistants, psychiatric assistants, seizure alert, cancer detectors and medical assistants.
- Dogs help us show affection. They actually change the way we show affection towards others. We become less reserved and feel better about how we contribute to our relationships.
- We see dogs as we see other people. We respond to dogs as individuals rather than a category of creatures. They are our best friend, companion, and member of our family.
- Dogs make life more enjoyable. They are always happy to see us! And people with a dog are more likely to be happy, think positively, and feel better about their lives.
Don’t have pet? There are thousands of loving animals longing for a forever home: http://www.petfinder.com/index.html
About Jo Jo Harder, CEO of The Jo Jo Companies
Jo Jo Harder is the founder of America’s Top Dog Model ® Contest established in 2005 and headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida. It a national search for top dogs that make a difference in people’s lives. Now in its ninth season the contest, was created to celebrate the union that humans share with their canine companions. Visit www.americastopdogmodel.com for more info.